Yesterday I made a lava cake. I guess you could't call what I made an actual lava cake because there was no chocolate flowing out of it! I made a really stupid mistake and only put in 1 stick of butter rather than two. Don't make my same mistake! :( But the cake itself was really good!! I got this recipe from a book called Delicious Disney by the Disney chefs and Pam Brandon. OK, here's the recipe and ingredients!
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips or 8 1-ounce squares semisweet chocolate, chopped. ( I used chocolate chips.)
1 cup (2 sticks!!) of butter.
5 egg yolks
4 whole eggs
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter the sides of 6 individual (3/4) ramekins. Lightly coat sides with a pinch of sugar, then shake out the excess.
2. Melt chocolate and butter on top of a double boiler set over simmering water. Stir until smooth. Remove from water and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. Beat egg yolks and whole eggs together in a large bowl. Add sugar and beat about 2 minutes.
4. Fold in chocolate mixture
5. Sift flour, then fold into batter, mixing until smooth.
6. Divide batter among the prepared ramekins, filling 3/4 fill.
7. Place on a baking sheet and bake about 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sides of the cakes are set and the middle is soft. Do not overbake!!
8. Using a small knife cut around the sides of the cakes to loosen them out of the ramekins.
My extra special: I add some vanilla ice cream on the side, a fresh mint leaf on top and a dash of powdered sugar :)